PE (polyethylene) is the primary thermoplastic which is widely used in the world.
PE is made from petroleum, commonly used to produce the plastic bottles, corrosion resistant pipes, waterproof membranes, and wooden plastics in the food industry, etc.
PE is divided into many categories by many factors such as molecular weight, density, crystallinity and type of branching. Each type of PE is assigned with a different application because of its different characteristics.
- Transparent, slightly translucent, glossy surface, elastic.
- The material looks like a grain of rice.
- Good for waterproof and water wafer.
- Not conductive to electricity and heat.
- Poor O2, CO2, N2 and grease airtightness.
- Withstand high temperature (120°C in the short term and 110°C in the long term)
- Be bulged and damaged upon exposure to aromatic oils or detergents such as Alcohol, Acetone, etc.
- Smell, fragrance may penetrate easily. Accordingly, PE can absorb the odor in the packaging itself, and this odor can be absorbed by the contained food, which deters the sensory value of the product.
- Depending on the type of PE, they have a Tg = -100°C glass transition temperature and a melting point Tm = 120°C.
PE is classified into 8 types, namely: VLDPE, LDPE, LLDPE, MDPE, HDPE, UHMWPE, PEX, and HDXPEX in which two popular types used in the industry are LDPE and HDPE.
- LDPE (Low-density PE): ranked 4th in the list of popular plastics, less toxic than other plastics, considered as safe to use and easy to recycle. LDPE is used to make packaging, grocery plastic bags, and food-grade wrapping paper.
- HDPE (high-density PE): ranked the 2nd on the list of popular plastics; it is blurred but safe because bacteria are hard to accumulate on the surface, easy to recycle. HDPE is resistant to chemicals, abrasives, high shock resistance even at low temperatures. In addition, HDPE also has low coefficient of friction, good insulation, and high energy radiation resistance. HDPE is used to make baby bottles, juice bottles, or bottles of detergent, shampoo, dishwashing liquid, shower gel, etc..
Density: refers to the ratio of the specific mass of a substance to the specific mass of control substance (normally is water).
Application - Safely use PE products
PE is used to wrap wire, produce plastic packaging, PE film rolls, wrappers, different types of bags, barrels (can) with containing capacity from 1 to 20 liters and with different thicknesses; PE is also used to produce into thin rain cover, bottles, manufacturing equipment in the chemical industry.
* Safely use PE products
Although they are considered as high quality products and safe with food, carefulness is required during usage, otherwise products can contaminate some substances negatively impact on human health.
Uy Kiet encourages customers to apply some following note to safely use PE products:
- Do not contain overheated foods, especially for fat products such as rice vermicelli, noodles, etc., using only when there is a safety commitment from manufacturers.
- Do not use plastic product in the microwave, even if the product has the capability because plastic product’s exposure to poisonous substances is also accelerated by the food heating process.
- And the most important issue for a smart consumer is to choose products from which manufacturer. Consumers’ belief must be developed on the basis of the manufacturer's database, their product information, safety certifications and whether the manufacturer can inspect the product safely under customer requirements.
Consumers’ choosing quality products not only aims to protect themselves and their families, but also help to develop a healthy product market and always orient towards human protection objectives.