Plastic products are gradually replacing a series of materials and becoming an indispensable part of the modern life. Plastic materials for production is divided into 7 types by the nature, application and recyclability, etc. in which PP is regarded as the safest and most widely applied in manufacturing.
PP and its common applications
PP is categorized as the thermoplastic, derived from petrochemical products. PP is ranked the 5th out of seven popular plastics and recorded with high safety for various food-grade packaging.
PP-based products may be distinguished by the symbol on the product. (Illustration)
- High mechanical strength (tear strength and tensile strength), quite firm, not flexible as PE, free from stretching; hence, it is fabricated as fiber. Particularly, it is easily torn by a cut or a small puncture.
- Transparency, high gloss surface for high printability and clear printout.
- Colorless, odorless, tasteless, non-toxic PP. PP is blazed with light blue flame and elastic flow; it smelled like burned rubber.
- The endured temperature is more than 100°C. However, the welding temperature of PP packing (140°C), which is higher than that of PE - can cause damages to the membrane of external structure. As a result, PP is not popular to be used as the innermost layer.
- Anti-O2 waterproof, steam, grease and other gases.
- Use as a single-layer packaging for food preservation without strict anti-oxidization required.
- Create fibers, weaving into packages containing foods, cereals.
- PP is also produced as a coating film for multilayer film to improve the air-tightness, waterproof, high printability, ability to tear to open the package (with ready-made cut) and create high gloss for packaging.
- Use as a water bottle, baby milk bottle, food preservation box.
- Some PP products are characterized by good microwaved heat resistance.
How to use PP safely
PP is no longer a new thing to majority of consumers, thanks to the widely used plastic cups for beverage such as coffee, milky tea, sugar cane juice, tea, etc., and variety of foods contained in plastic cups in different sizes and designs.
The popularity of plastic products, as well as a number of improper uses and preservation, has created a series of inaccurate Internet-based information - particularly the plastic products are blamed for cancer, resulting in consumer’s panics and adverse influence on manufacturer's reputation.
Up to now, there is no scientific or official cancer-related document or report on plastic product safety. Meanwhile, manufacturers are still trying to develop a safe production and testing process to meet high standards such as ISO9001: 2015 and HACCP applied by Uy Kiet Co., Ltd.
In addition to product certificates, customers are recommended to use safe PP products by testing the product to verify whether it is suitable with their intended purpose. Moreover, the customer should ask to be provided with the best storage method for products specified in the enclosed appendix of production and purchase contracts. (Especially, it is used for hot foods and beverages with high temperature or special products.)
To confirm whether the product is safe or not, besides the manufacturer's assurances, customer coordination is required: do not use products for the incorrect purpose, do not use products with unclear origin and most importantly do not reuse deposable plastic products.
Uy Kiet offers high-end quality products and optimal solutions for the best benefit of the users. More PP products may be found at uykiet.com.